Federal Judges Question DOJ Credibility in Trump Administration Cases
Federal judges across the country are demanding more detailed proof from Justice Department lawyers as court records document conflicting accounts, inaccurate filings and alleged failures to follow judicial orders.
The concern centers on the “presumption of regularity,” a judicial doctrine that generally gives executive-branch officials the benefit of the doubt. In plain terms, courts often begin with the assumption that government employees performed their duties properly, followed required procedures and acted in good faith.
That presumption is not an absolute constitutional right, and it does not automatically decide a case. But it can make it harder for people challenging federal action to obtain evidence or overcome the government’s account of what happened.
A national pattern under review
In an investigation published July 28, 2026, ProPublica said it reviewed hundreds of federal cases in which judges criticized the actions of Justice Department lawyers. The review identified more than 40 cases in which judges explicitly referenced or questioned the presumption of regularity.
ProPublica reported that the cases involved issues including nonexistent case law, inaccurate dates, missing facts, conflicting representations and filings that allegedly failed to comply with court orders. The review also found concerns from judges appointed by presidents of both parties, although many of the cases involve immigration enforcement and detention.
The review is investigative reporting, not a finding by one court that the Justice Department has acted improperly in every case. The department disputes the broader characterization. Spokesperson Kiersten Pels said its attorneys represent the United States with integrity, follow their ethical obligations and act in good faith.
What happened in New Jersey
A February 20, 2026, order from U.S. District Judge Christine O’Hearn provides a detailed primary-record example. The case involved an ICE detainee held at the Delaney Hall Detention Facility in Newark, New Jersey.
On February 17, O’Hearn ordered that the detainee remain in New Jersey while the court considered his habeas petition. The court record says the U.S. Attorney’s Office received the order. The government later told the court that ICE had transferred the detainee to the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, New York, nearly 22 hours after the no-transfer order.
The government subsequently reported that the detainee had remained in New Jersey and had never been transferred in violation of the order. O’Hearn described the accounts as conflicting and wrote that the presumption of regularity and integrity previously afforded to the executive branch and the U.S. Attorney’s Office had been “undeniably eroded” in her jurisdiction and across the country.
O’Hearn said the court would no longer blindly accept factual statements from the respondents unless they were made under oath by someone with personal knowledge. She ordered sworn affidavits documenting the detainee’s whereabouts, explaining the factual basis for the government’s statements and identifying the sources of those statements.
The order also required the government to show cause why sanctions, including attorney fees, should not be imposed for failing to comply with the earlier orders. That was a direction to respond, not a final sanctions ruling, and the February order did not by itself resolve the underlying detention case.
Why the issue matters
When courts give less deference to government representations, litigants may face fewer barriers when challenging detention, deportation, agency decisions or other federal actions. Judges may require sworn statements, complete records and evidence from officials who personally know what occurred.
That can directly affect immigration detainees and others whose cases depend on facts controlled by federal agencies. It can also increase the time and cost of litigation as courts demand additional records, declarations and verification before deciding whether the government acted lawfully.
A separate Maryland court record in litigation involving Kilmar Abrego Garcia contains another example of judicial criticism. Judge Paula Xinis wrote that the government had “destroyed” the presumption of regularity. That language is part of the record in that litigation; it is not a final nationwide ruling that every government action in the matter was unlawful.
What to watch next
Future developments could include sanctions, contempt proceedings, appeals and additional demands for verified evidence. Courts may also decide in individual cases that disputed government representations are not enough to receive the usual benefit of the presumption.
The broader question is whether these disputes produce a lasting change in how federal courts supervise executive-branch agencies or remain a series of case-specific conflicts involving particular filings, officials and court orders. The Justice Department’s defense of its lawyers means the issue is likely to remain contested as more rulings and records emerge.
Sources
- ProPublica investigation
- New Jersey federal court order in Singh v. Tsoukaris
- Just Security legal-tracking review
Look for updates to this story
Discover more from Interactive News
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.