San Bernardino Daily Local Headlines: Explosion Probe, Surveillance Debate, and Childcare Expansion
San Bernardino, CA – February 25, 2026 – A deadly hydrogen-truck blast nearby, heated camera debate, childcare expansion plans, and a jail-death probe.
1) Deadly hydrogen-truck explosion in Colton
A late-night explosion involving a trailer carrying compressed hydrogen cylinders killed one person and injured another in Colton on Tuesday, February 24. Fire crews responded to a reported trailer fire and arrived amid reports of additional explosions, then worked to knock down the fire and protect nearby buildings.
The cause of the blast is under investigation, and officials have not released victim details as of Wednesday night.
2) San Bernardino residents press leaders over license-plate reader cameras
In a packed February 18 City Council meeting at Feldheym Central Library, residents urged the city not to renew an annual contract for automated license plate reader cameras. Speakers raised privacy concerns and questioned how collected data could be used or shared, while supporters argued the cameras can help locate stolen vehicles and assist investigations.
The contract renewal date cited in public discussion is March 30, 2026, putting attention on whether the issue will return to the agenda before then.
3) Free childcare now, bigger San Bernardino site planned (with a charter school)
A local nonprofit says it is offering free childcare and half-day preschool at two locations serving San Bernardino and Rialto, with plans to open a larger San Bernardino facility in September. The new site is expected to include a tuition-free public charter school on campus, alongside early childhood programming.
For families, the practical takeaway is that enrollment pathways may expand later this year, while current spots remain available at existing sites.
4) Jail death investigation in Rancho Cucamonga
The county sheriff’s department says a 58-year-old man died Saturday, February 21, after a reported medical emergency while in custody at West Valley Detention Center. The department said life-saving efforts were attempted before he was pronounced dead, and the coroner is expected to determine cause and manner of death.
The case is being investigated, and it follows another in-custody death at the same facility earlier in February.
Sources
- https://www.yahoo.com/news/articles/one-person-killed-another-injured-205439247.html
- https://iecn.com/san-bernardino-residents-flock-camera-contract/
- https://iecn.com/volunteers-america-offers-free-childcare-new-center-charter-school-opens-september/
- https://patch.com/california/banning-beaumont/58-year-old-beaumont-man-dies-custody-san-bernardino-county-sheriffs