Madison shooting fallout continues as street stays closed, camera plan debated
A street near Williamson and South Baldwin streets remained closed to vehicle traffic as of July 27, five days after Madison police fatally shot Corey Ruiz during an attempted arrest. The Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation is handling the independent investigation, while four officers remain on administrative leave.
Madison police identified Ruiz as a 38-year-old man. According to the department’s incident report, officers were attempting to arrest him on July 22 when police said he displayed a fixed-blade knife, injured an officer and was not stopped by a Taser attempt. Those details remain part of the police account; the state investigation has not issued final findings about what happened or whether the shooting was justified.
Street closure and bus diversions continue
The shooting site was still closed to vehicle traffic on July 27, and no reopening date had been announced. Wisconsin Public Radio reported that nearby residents and businesses were dealing with access and circulation problems, while bus routes were being diverted around the area.
Drivers, transit riders and people visiting businesses near the intersection should continue checking for changing access conditions rather than assuming the street has reopened. The closure remains part of the practical impact of the shooting for people who live, work or travel through the neighborhood.
Protests and memorial activity have also continued in the area. The Associated Press reported broader disruptions, including event cancellations and the early closure of the Dane County Farmers’ Market. Those effects reflect several forms of community response and should not be treated as one unified action or attributed to a single organization.
Listening session postponed
The city postponed a community listening session that had been planned in response to the shooting. The city’s postponement notice did not provide a confirmed replacement date.
For residents seeking a public forum, the timing of the next city-sponsored discussion remains unresolved. The postponed session means there is not yet a confirmed date for that planned opportunity to hear from city officials and share concerns.
Body-camera proposal still needs council approval
Separately, Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway said she would support a proposed three-year, $414,784 request for police body cameras. The plan would begin in 2027 and aim for department-wide use by 2029, according to Wisconsin Public Radio.
The proposal is not yet approved, funded or fully implemented. It would require action by the Madison Common Council. The body-camera discussion adds a policy question to the immediate response: whether the department should expand recording technology while the independent review of the July 22 shooting remains pending.
The next developments to watch are updates from the Wisconsin DOJ investigation, an official announcement about reopening the street, a rescheduled listening session and Common Council consideration of the body-camera request. Until those steps occur, the shooting’s accountability questions and the city’s longer-term policy response remain unresolved.
Sources
- Madison Police incident report
- Wisconsin Public Radio traffic-closure report
- Associated Press report on Madison event disruptions
Look for updates to this story
Discover more from Interactive News
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.