Greensboro South Elm Street closures begin Aug. 3. What to expect
Greensboro’s South Elm Street pedestrian-plaza pilot moves into implementation Monday, August 3, with a continuous vehicle closure on the 200 block downtown. Additional South Elm Street segments are scheduled to close every weekend beginning August 7, creating a new access pattern for drivers, customers, residents and businesses through November 1.
What closes and when
The 200 block of South Elm Street, between February One Place and Washington Street, is scheduled to remain closed to vehicles from Monday, August 3, through Sunday, November 1.
The city also plans larger weekend closures beginning Friday, August 7. Those closures are scheduled to run from 5 p.m. Friday until 5 p.m. Sunday each weekend through November 1. They will cover two additional sections: Market Street to February One Place, and Washington Street to Bain Street.
The closures do not mean every street crossing the South Elm corridor will be blocked. The city says cross streets are scheduled to remain open, allowing drivers to move across the corridor even while portions of South Elm Street are closed.
How visitors can reach downtown
During August weekends, the city says the Greene Street and February One parking decks will be free. That offer is limited to weekends in August under the city’s published plan.
The free Hopper Trolley will provide another way to reach the area. The trolley is an additional access option, not a replacement for all vehicle access, and drivers should pay attention to the specific South Elm Street blocks that are closed during each visit.
Businesses may also need to coordinate deliveries and customer access differently during the pilot. The city’s program information includes loading-zone details and other resident-facing guidance for people traveling through the area.
Business concerns are part of the test
Local feedback has not been uniform. WFDD reported that some businesses and residents raised concerns about deliveries, parking access, revenue, restrooms and safety, while also noting at least one positive response to the concept.
The Triad Business Journal previously reported that some business owners were concerned about the effect of the trial on parking, including a reported estimate of roughly 100 spaces that could be affected. That figure reflects a business-owner concern reported by the publication, not a confirmed citywide parking total.
What Greensboro says it is testing
The city describes the plaza as a pilot rather than a permanent redesign. Its stated goals include creating more room for pedestrians, dining and entertainment while testing how the street can function with fewer vehicles during selected periods.
The city also says targeted police foot patrols and weekly check-ins with downtown businesses will be part of the pilot’s public-safety and feedback plan. Those measures are scheduled components of the trial, not proof that the pilot has already improved safety, foot traffic or business revenue.
The pilot is scheduled to end November 1. By then, the city will have operating experience and feedback to consider, but the longer-term future of the South Elm Street arrangement remains undecided.
Sources
- City of Greensboro South Elm Pedestrian Plaza program page
- WFDD South Elm Plaza report
- Triad Business Journal business-reaction report
Look for updates to this story
Discover more from Interactive News
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.