WHO’s July 2026 Bundibugyo Ebola update: tests, PARTNERS trial, DRC–Uganda
WHO’s latest public update on Bundibugyo-virus Ebola in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and linked activity in Uganda is less about announcing new “ready-for-everywhere” medicines, and more about operational follow-through: faster, quality-assured diagnosis and structured clinical evidence-building.
Outbreak picture in the July 1–2 snapshot
In a Disease Outbreak News briefing dated 3 July 2026, WHO reported that as of 1 July, the DRC had 1,460 confirmed cases including 452 deaths. WHO said that, compared with the previous DON update published 19 June, there were 564 additional confirmed cases including 220 confirmed deaths—with the increase partly attributed to scaled-up surveillance and testing.
WHO also reported that as of 2 July, Uganda had 20 confirmed cases including two deaths in imported cases, plus one probable case who has died. WHO said there had been no documented community transmission in Uganda, and that exposure risks were associated with healthcare settings and cross-border movements.
The DON update underscores that the response is operating in a difficult context that includes insecurity, disruption to healthcare and services, and heavy population and trade movement.
What changed on diagnostics: a new Bundibugyo test enters WHO’s EUL
On 2 July 2026, WHO said it added the first molecular diagnostic test for Bundibugyo virus to its Emergency Use Listing (EUL). WHO described the test as detecting the virus by identifying its genetic material in blood samples, aiming to help confirm infection rapidly and accurately.
WHO framed the EUL step as a way to accelerate access to reliable, quality-assured diagnostics—supporting early case detection, timely clinical care, disease surveillance, and outbreak response. WHO also described a parallel effort, alongside Africa CDC and partners, to set up a joint validation platform for multiple diagnostic options (including lab-based molecular tests, near-point-of-care molecular tests, and antigen rapid diagnostic tests).
What changed on treatments: PARTNERS trial enrolment begins
Also on 2 July 2026, WHO announced that patient enrolment opened for the PARTNERS clinical trial. WHO said PARTNERS is assessing whether two antiviral therapies—MBP134 (a monoclonal antibody) and remdesivir—can improve survival among people diagnosed with Bundibugyo virus disease, and whether combining them provides additional benefit.
WHO emphasized that the trial is set up so that research can happen alongside the response—meaning the trial is intended to generate evidence during the outbreak to inform care over time, not to imply results are already proven. WHO also said enrolled patients will receive early supportive care and be supported with close follow-up for at least 28 days after enrolment.
DRC–Uganda preparedness—and WHO’s travel/trade posture
WHO’s situation framing highlights cross-border preparedness as a core requirement: strengthening surveillance and contact tracing, improving clinical preparedness and management, ensuring delivery of supplies, and scaling community engagement. WHO’s outbreak hub also stresses that community engagement is pivotal to bringing outbreaks under control.
In the DON update, WHO addressed travel and trade directly as well. WHO said it advises against any restriction of travel to, or trade with the DRC or Uganda based on currently available information, while continuing to closely monitor and verify any measures.
What global readers should watch next
Two practical signals are likely to matter most in the coming weeks:
- Whether diagnostic capacity keeps scaling in the field, because faster confirmation can change how quickly cases are identified, isolated, and managed.
- Whether clinical research operations hold up as the outbreak evolves, since PARTNERS enrolment reflects WHO’s push to build evidence during active response rather than waiting years.
Meanwhile, independent reporting has highlighted pressure on outbreak control as suspected spread appears to move beyond the original epicenter. For example, AP reported an Ebola death toll in Congo reaching 600 and said suspected cases were recorded in provinces previously described as unaffected.
Sources
- WHO Ebola outbreak DRC 2026 situation hub (Bundibugyo-virus response priorities and operational framing)
- AP — Congo Ebola death toll reaches 600; suspected spread beyond the epicenter
Look for updates to this story
Discover more from Interactive News
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.